Written by Irene Gonzales, Hands-On Resilience 2022 – Edited by Bianca Rêgo, ESC Wake-Up 2022-23
Are you fed up with all that plastic, useless packaging and added chemicals contained in most personal hygiene items? In this article you will find two easy, low-cost and fast recipes to create your natural and zero waste deodorant and toothpaste.
How to make a natural and zero waste deodorant :
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sodium bicarbonate
- 6–10 drops of your prefered essential oil
- If the coconut oil is in a solid state, melt it over low heat on the stove. Alternatively, you can also put it in the microwave for a few seconds until it melts fully.
- Mix in essential oil(s).
- Add sodium bicarbonate , then mix until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small glass jar and store in the refrigerator (since coconut oil has a low melting point).
- Apply with your hands or transfer with a spatula to an empty deodorant tube for mess-free application.
How to make a natural and zero waste toothpaste:
- 50 g of coconut oil
- 20 g of calcium carbonate powder
- 10 g of activated carbon
- 10 drops of mint or mint eucalyptus essential oil (optional)
- Stevia powder (optional)
- Mix all the powders into a bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil.
- Add activated carbon and continue to mix until you have a homogenous black paste.
- Throw the essential oils and/or stevia powder last.
- Mix well.
If you manage to create any products with our tips, don’t forget to show us! We are @idc.eco.community on Instagram and @Initiativedeveloppementcitoyen on Facebook.